Sunday 13 October 2013

Component Fabrication Attempts #1-20

Here are 20 trials that I did turning blue foam.  They are from both the Lego prototype and the 6mm MDF version.  The MDF lathe was far more stable and had better results.  By far the best tool for subtracting the foam was sandpaper, starting at a coarser grade until the basic shape was created, then smoothing and adding detail with the finer grain paper.  I also uses a set of files to add the more intricate detail which could not be achieved with sandpaper.


I also did a number of trials, one with balsa, and another where I uses coloured pencils to add colour to the foam.  The balsa was by far an easier material to work with, as it did not tear or flake or melt like the foam did in certain circumstances, but with enough practice there were a number of different shapes and patterns I was able to make from foam.



No comments:

Post a Comment