Monday 2 September 2013

Component Fabrication Attempt #17

So after having so much success with printing at a higher temperature I decided to try and tweak a few more of the settings to try and get better results and faster printing times.

I increased the print speed and printed without a raft.  I was amazed that this worked as in the past printing without a raft just resulted in a messy goop of plastic, however with the higher temperature it seemed to adhere to the plate better.  I had the benefit of having a thin layer of support structure underneath each component which acted as a very basic raft, without the need for an actual raft.  This had the added benefit of significantly reducing the print time.  I went from having a fairly poor and error riddled component taking 34 minutes to print, to having a virtually error free component take only 22 minutes to print.  If I had printed all 36 components with the rafts this would have equated to nearly six hours of printing things which were destined for the bin, since I managed to stop having to print rafts half way through, I saved myself nearly 3 hours of printing.

Printing straight on support structures without a raft.


VERDICT:  SUCCESS

No comments:

Post a Comment