Monday 2 September 2013

Constructing the Mobius #2

I'll take a bit of time out here to go through the process of preparing the pieces for assembly.

Much of the support structure can be removed by hand.  I a lot of cases the pins and pegs I had built into the plastic pieces to line them up with the MDF ribs came off with the support structure, which was a little annoying, but each component had 6 of these, and there were only 1 or 2 instances where all of them came off.


The next stage require tidying up any erroneous support structure pieces with a knife.  Often the guide pins and pegs required cleaning up too so they would fit better into the holes in the MDF.


Finally liberal amounts of PVA glue were applied to each piece.


It was a little frustrating that I had to spend so much time preparing each of my 36 components.  I had hoped that it would be a more simple process of the pieces just snapping together, however the Makerbot replicator was not able to provide pieces with this sort of accuracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment