Saturday 31 August 2013

Component Fabrication Attempt #1

This was my first foray into rapid prototyping on the maker bot and it was a resounding failure.


The twisted globules of plastic may not look like much, but they represent nearly two hours of trial and error printing.  The extruded plastic seemed to have trouble adhering to the plate and would be dragged around as the nozzle moved.  I tried many different settings with adding supports and rafts and building my own columns, but nothing seemed to work.  I then tried printing a simple cube, which worked better, but still had errors.  I then tried printing a comb, one of the default objects on the memory card.  It worked fine, which meant that the issues were with my model and my settings, not the machine.  By this stage it was the end of class and I had precious little to show for my efforts, but I had figure out how to export form sketchup into the Makerware saftware and some basic settings on the Makerbot machine.

VERDICT:  FAILURE

No comments:

Post a Comment