Saturday 31 August 2013

The Exam

Having already spent a number of hours modelling in SketchUp, I had a fairly clear idea as to what I was planning on making for the exam.  After getting the all clear from Russell to defy the laws of physics I started to make the mobius model.  It is a fairly simple process of creating the one component 36 times in a radial circle and then rotating each on them 5 degrees.  This means that by the time it has completed the circle there is a 180 degree rotations.  It is also important to ensure that the component has 180 rotational symmetry, otherwise it won't match up after it has completed its journey around the circle.  My idea was to 3D print the ribs of the circle and then laser cut the infill panels for the floors and walls.  Russell however told me that it would be better to do it the other way around and laser cut the ribs, then 3D print the floor, knowing what I know now, that was the best piece of advice I could have been given.


We had the option during the exam to go listen to Graham as he explained how the maker bots worked.  I felt as though my design was sufficiently developed and that it would be worth while.  Russell then encouraged me to try and print my initial mobius strip as I already had a 3D object.  I spent a little while tidying up the model, and then went off to try and print it.

No comments:

Post a Comment