Saturday 31 August 2013

Component Fabrication Attempt #2


After finally discovering that you cannot print without a raft I finally got a vaguely usable object out of the Makerbot.  The butterflied floor planks were printed I carefully extracted them from the raft, however there was an issue.


While it is necessary to print using a raft, it creates the issue of inaccuracy.  I had assumed I would be printing on the perfectly flat printer bed, however the raft is not perfectly flat, and when I tried to combine the two halves I discovered that they did not fit together perfectly.  The innacuracy was perhaps only 0.5mm, but considering the level of accuracy I needed to ensure the mobius strip shaped actually reconnected with itself, when compounded over 36 components, it was too much.

VERDICT:  FAILURE

No comments:

Post a Comment