Saturday 31 August 2013

Component Fabrication Attempt #6

So I decided to revisit trying to print the mobius strip with a single component now that I'd printed a few things on the printer.




There were quite a lot of errors when printing the surface, and once again it was out old friend 'hidden internal surfaces'.  I had to go into SketchUp again and remove the many, many, many internal faces that I had left in the model.

This particular piece was printed at 0.2mm layer thickness.  It is about 15cm across and took about 1hr 40min to print.  I decided not to print it again at full size and resolution after I made the corrections as it would have taken another hour and a half.

There were also quite a lot of additional layers and structures that were built in the model, possibly because of the internal faces, possibly because of reversed faces.  Either way they were unlike the usual support structures that Makerware normally adds in and required a lot of work with a craft knife to remove.


VERDICT:  FAILURE

No comments:

Post a Comment